Total-Body Tabata u2014 Get Ready to Torch and Tone
Nothing beats Tabata workouts for maximizing the benefits of a a workout. This interval training helps burn calories and build muscle in 20 minutes. For the four-minute Tabata round| we mix two complementary exercises| so you can go strong and maintain good form for all your reps.
Here’s the workout and directions. Keep scrolling for explanations on the moves.
“|”id”:37806005|”type”:”image”|”thumbnail”:”Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography
“”|””large_link””:”” Tabata One: Lateral High-Knee Run and Hold
- Start at one edge of your mat and run from side to side on your bringing your knees hight to waist level. Engage your abs as the knee comes up.
- Make as many steps to the side as you can before switching sides.
- Pump your arms to work your upper body.
- Keeping your weight on the balls of your feet| scissors your legs front and back.
- This is quick footwork and it should be light. Pump your arms to keep the speed of the feet up tempo.
- Jump up as high as you can| and land softly lowering into a crouching squat with your hands on the floor.
- Jump your feet backward coming into a plank position.
- Jump the feet forward to the hands| coming into a deep squat| and prepare to jump. Continue in this pattern.
- Start in a plank position with your hands directly under your shoulders.
- Push forward with your toes keeping your arms parallel and hugging your torso| bend your elbows to 90 degrees. Your upper arm should be parallel to the floor with your elbows over your wrists.
- Engage your abs to keep your torso stable as you straighten your elbows to push yourself up| returning to the plank.
- Start with your feet directly under your hips. Step your right foot wide to the side coming into a lunge.Your right knee shouldn’t go beyond your right toes. Keep your chest lifted and your weight in your heels.
- Push into your right foot to return to standing| then lunge sideways to the left.
- Start on all fours| then lift your knees to hover over the floor.
- Lift your left hand and your right foot off the floor then| then pivot on your left foot to the left kicking your right leg through bringing your left arm to your chest.
- Swing your pelvis back and place your left hand on the floor and your right toes| returning to the hover position. Reverse directions kicking the left leg to the opposite side.
- Lying on your back| extend your arms out to your side| to create an anchor. Lift your legs so your hips and knees are at 90 degree angles.
- Starting the movement from your core| rotate your knees to the left| hovering just off the floor. Hold for this position for three seconds. This completes one rep. Then| initiating the movement with your abs| slowly rotate your knees to the right.
- Lift your head and arms off the floor and begin to roll up to sitting| focusing on the abs rounding the back and keeping the motion smooth.
- Roll back down to the mat slowly| one vertebra at a time. Ending by reaching your arms overhead to complete one rep.
- Continue alternating sides in a slow controlled manner| keeping your torso stable.
- | Tabata One: Ali Shuffle
| Tabata Two: Burpee
| Tabata Two: Chaturanga Push-Up
| Tabarta Three: Alternating Side Lunge
| Breakdancer Kick
| Cooldown: Trunk Twist
Reps: 20| alternating sides
| Cooldowns: Straight-Leg Roll-Up
| Cooldown: Pilates Swimming
Reps: 20| alternating sides
Keeping your knees straight| lift your right leg and left arm higher| toward the ceiling. As you lower your right leg and left arm| lift your left leg and right arm up to complete one rep.