If You Do 1 Workout| It Better Be This
Build muscle and blast calories with this effective bodyweight workout. And it’s excuse-proof| too| because you can do it anywhere since it requires no equipment at all. The workout should take you around 20 minutes| so get moving!
Directions: Warm up with five minutes of light cardio| then repeat each three-exercise circuit three times. Start with 10 reps of each exercise| building up to 15 reps of each move as you get stronger.
Here’s a printable version of this workout. Now you really have no excuses!
| Reverse Lunge and Kick
This is a great move for warming up the entire body. It’s a dynamic stretch for both the hip flexors and the hamstrings.
- Step back with your left foot coming into a deep lunge bending both knees to 90 degrees.
- Press the right heel into the ground as you push off with your left foot| kicking your left leg to touch your left toes to your right hand.
- With control| return to the lunge position. This completes one rep.
- Do 15 reps on each leg.
| Single-Leg Forward Reach
Similar to yoga’s Warrior 3| this exercise fires up your core by challenging your balance. As you move in and out of the pose| you will be working the back of your body too.
- Stand with all your weight in your left foot| abs engaged and chest lifted.
- Reach your torso forward as you lift your right leg behind you. Reach your arms overhead for balance as your torso and leg come parallel to the floor.
- Hold this position for a moment| and reach through your right heel to engage the back of the right leg.
- Moving in one piece| lower your right leg toward the floor as you return to standing upright| resting the right foot lightly on the ground. This completes one rep.
- Do 15 reps before switching sides.
| Squat and Reach
Adding an overhead reach to a squat challenges the core while engaging and toning the upper back.
- Begin with your feet slightly wider than hip-width apart and toes pointed slightly outward.
- Keeping your weight in your heels| and sit back into your deep squat. Make sure your knees do not go beyond your toes.
- Holding your squat| raise both of your arms overhead. Hold this position for a moment| then return to standing while lowering your arms to your sides. This completes one rep.
- Do 15 reps.
| Lateral Plank Walk
This move will challenge your core and define your deltoids| shaping your shoulders.
- Begin in plank position with your hands underneath your shoulders| and your body in one straight line.
- Simultaneously cross your right hand toward the left as you step your left foot out to the left. Then simultaneously step your left hand and right foot to the left| returning to the plank position. Your hands move together as your feet step apart. Take two more steps in this direction| keeping your abs pulled toward your spine and your pelvis level. This completes one rep.
- Reverse directions taking three steps the right.
- Do 15 reps in each direction to complete one set.
| Push-Up and Rotate
Add a twist to your basic push-up to work your waist even more u2014 rotation never felt so good.
- Begin in a plank position with your feet in line with your hips.
- Lower your body toward the floor| then push through your arms returning to plank.
- Twist to the left| reaching your left arm to the ceiling without letting your pelvis raise or lower.
- Return to plank position| bringing your hand back to the floor. Complete another push-up and twist to the right. This completes one rep| and 15 reps completes a set.
| Reverse Plank Bridge
This move is the ultimate booty burner| and it gets the triceps nicely too.
- Begin seated with your hands behind you with your fingers pointed away from you.
- Press the heels of your feet and hands into the ground as you raise your pelvis off the floor until it is in line with your shoulders and knees.
- Lower your pelvis back to the ground to complete one rep.
- Do 15 reps.
| Scarecrow With Back Lunge
Holding a lunge tones the leg| while the scarecrow motion works small muscles that support the shoulder joint| which are known collectively as the rotator cuff.
- Step your left leg back into a deep lunge| making 90-degree angles with both knees.
- Raise your arms out to the side until your upper arms are parallel to the ground. Bend your elbows to 90 degrees making a loose fist with your hands.
- Hold the lunge while as you rotate your upper arms forward to bring your fists to the floor; then rotate the upper arm backward to bring the fists up. Do not lower or raise your upper arms; keep them parallel to the floor. This complete one rep.
- Do 15 reps| then lunge with your left leg back for 15 more reps to complete a set.
| Single-Leg Balance Touch
This exercise really works the deep glutes while challenging your core and sense of balance.
- Begin standing with arms overhead with all your weight on your left foot.
- Keeping your spine long| reach forward bending your left knee| and touch both hands to the ground. Keep your abs engaged to keep your torso stable.
- Lower your right leg down while lifting your torso| bringing your arms overhead to complete one rep.
- Do 15 reps on each side.
| Plank With Creepy Crawler
Bringing the knee toward your elbow while holding the plank is an effective way to work the obliques and tone your muffin top.
- In a plank position| bring your left knee to your left elbow; then return the left leg back to plank position. Repeat this action on the right side to complete one rep.
- Do 15 reps to complete a set.