12 Easy-to-Follow Moves That Chisel Your Core
There are way more important reasons to strengthen your core than bikini-clad weekends, and you don’t need a ton of crazy equipment and a gym membership to sculpt a strong and sexy midsection! The following 12 easy-to-follow exercises use your own body’s weight to tone up your tight midsection. Incorporate these into your strength-training routine for results you can see and feel.
| Full Sit-Ups
- Lie on your back with bent knees and feet flat on the ground, and place your hands on opposite shoulders.
- Keeping your heels on the ground and your toes flat to the ground, engage your abdominal muscles, and gently lift your head first, followed by your shoulder blades, coming into a full-sit up position.
- Hold the position for a second, and with control, come slowly back down to lying on your back.
- This completes one full sit-up.
| Oblique V-Crunch
- Lie on your right side, with your left hand behind your head and right hand on the floor.
- Press down into your right hand as you raise your straight legs off the floor bringing your torso toward your legs.
- Lower yourself back to the floor with control. This completes one rep.
| Reverse Crunch
- Lie on your back on the floor. Place your hands on the floor beside you.
- Bring the knees in toward the chest with your feet together.
- Use your abs to slowly curl the hips off the floor and into your chest, and then slowly lower them back to the starting position to complete one.
- Repeat for one minute. Don’t swing your legs to create momentum; use your abs to control your movement.
| Bicycle Crunches
- Lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed to the ground (pull your abs down to also target your deep abs). Interlace your fingers, and put your hands behind your head.
- Bring your knees in toward your chest, and lift your shoulder blades off the ground.
- Straighten your right leg out to about a 45-degree angle to the ground while turning your upper body to the left, bringing your right elbow toward the left knee. Make sure your rib cage is moving and not just your elbows.
- Now switch sides and do the same motion on the other side to complete one rep (and to create the “pedaling”” motion).
- This completes one full rep.
| Seated Russian Twist
- Sit on the ground with your knees bent