20-Minute Burn and Tone Tabata Workout
It’s Tabata time! This effective HIIT (high-intensity interval training) mixes well with bodyweight exercises. And for today’s workout in our No-Excuses Workout Challenge| we’ve paired complementary exercises for each four-minute interval. This way you maintain good form while working intensely!
Here’s the workout and directions. Keep scrolling for explanations on the moves.
“|”id”:37813577|”type”:”image”|”thumbnail”:”Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography
“”|””large_link””:”” Tabata One: Jumping Jack
- Jump off the balls of your feet as you jump your legs out and in.
- To modify| step the legs wide and then step them together instead of jumping.
| Tabata One: Trunk Twist
- Stand with your feet a bit wider than your hips| with your arms out to your sides.
- Twist your torso to the right| allowing your left foot to move to increase your range of motion.
- Reverse directions| and twist to the left. Keep your spine long and lifted as you twist.
| Tabata Two: Push-Up and Rotate
- Begin in a plank position and lower your body toward the floor| then push through your arms| returning to plank.
- Twist to the left| reaching your left arm to the ceiling without letting your pelvis raise or lower.
- Return to plank position| bringing your hand back to the floor. Complete another push-up and twist to the right.
| Tabata Two: Skater Plyo
- Start in a small squat. Jump sideways to the right| landing on your right leg. Bring your left leg behind you| but don’t let it touch the floor.
- Reverse direction by jumping to the left with your left leg| allowing your arms to swing to build up momentum.
| Tabata Three: Lunge Hop
- Bounce on the balls of your feet| jumping into a lunge with your left knee forward.
- Jump your feet together and switch sides| bringing the right knee forward.
- Stay light on your feet throughout this exercise.
| Tabata Three: Oblique Mountain Climber
- Start in plank position. Bring your left knee to your left elbow.
- Jump your left leg back to plank position while bringing your right knee to your right elbow.
- Continue alternating sides; move quickly but with control.
| Core: Russian Twist
Reps: 30| alternating sides
- Sit on the ground with your knees bent and your heels about a foot and a half from your butt. Lean slightly back| and lift your feet a few inches off the ground without rounding your spine.
- Twist your torso to the left| punching with your right arm. This completes one rep. Twist to the right and punch with the left arm| and continue alternating sides.
| Core: Tabletop Crunch With Leg Reach
- Start lying on your back with your hips and knees bent to 90 degrees in a tabletop position. Lift your upper back and head off the mat| reaching your fingers toward your toes.
- Lengthen your legs away from your center as you lower your upper body| reaching your arms overhead. Keep your low back pressing into the floor as you straighten your legs.
- Bend your legs back into tabletop position as you lift your upper body off the floor and reach your hands toward your toes.
| Core: Superman Row
- Lie on your stomach with your arms reaching overhead.
- Keeping your feet on the floor| arch your upper back to lift your chest off the floor.
- Keeping your torso stable| bend your elbows back and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Then reach your fingertips toward your toes with your palms down and lift your chest another inch away from the floor.
- Sweep your arms forward while lowering your upper body all the way to the mat| returning to the starting position. This completes one rep.