Double Down With This Legs and Abs Bodyweight Workout
In our No-Excuses Workout Challenge| today’s workout is short and focused. The bodyweight exercises target either the abs| the legs| or both.
Directions: Warm up with five minutes of light cardio| then perform this five-exercise circuit three times. Cool down with three minutes of stretching.
| Good Morning
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart| and place your hands on your hips.
- Pull your abs to your spine| and keep your back neutral while pressing your butt backward| hinging at that hips| until your back is almost parallel to the floor. Keep a slight bend in your knees as you bend forward.
- Return to standing| squeezing your glutes when you are upright. This completes one rep.
| Side Lunge to Curtsy Squat
Reps: 12 each side
- Step your right leg wide to the left| coming into a lateral lunge| bending your right knee. Keep your chest lifted and your weight in your right heel.
- Push off with your right foot| and cross the right leg behind your left| coming into a curtsy squat| bending both knees. This completes one rep.
- Step out to the right| returning to your side lunge; continue alternating between these two moves for a total of 12 reps. Then repeat on the other side.
| Side-Walking Plank
Reps: 10 reps| alternating sides
- Begin at the end of your mat in plank position with your hands underneath your shoulders| body in one straight line.
- Simultaneously cross your right hand over your left| as you step your left foot to the left. Then simultaneously step your left hand and right foot to the left| returning to plank position. Your hands move together as your feet step apart.
- Repeat this for three steps to the left to complete one rep. Then reverse directions. Be sure not to let your pelvis lower or lift as you move side to side.
| Crunchy Frog
- Begin sitting| balanced just behind your sitz bones| rock back slightly to lift your feet off the floor; gently pull your knees to your chest.
- Release your knees to extend your legs as you roll back| keeping your shoulder blades off the matt| opening your arms to the sides
- Inhale and return to the starting position to complete one rep.
| Sumo Squat
- Stand with legs wide and toes pointed outward slightly. Place your hands at your head with elbows wide to challenge your abs as you do this move.
- Bend your knees until they are over your ankles. Your feet should be far enough apart that your thighs are parallel to the floor and your knees near 90 degrees. Push through your heels to straighten your legs. This completes one rep.