The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Finally Getting Your Dream Butt
Having a toned butt is likely at the top of your fitness goals list| but getting it is another story. I get it: after doing cardio or an intense workout| it’s tempting to just throw in the towel and forget about whether or not your booty got enough attention. But these six effective exercises are all about the tush| and you can do them anytime| anywhere u2014 you don’t even have to get up off the floor. Do this workout when you’re watching TV| winding down for the night| or on the floor next to your bed when you get up| and you’ll be on your way to whipping your glutes into shape without a ton of extra effort. Trust us| any lazy girl can do these simple but supereffective moves.
| Advanced Bridge Tabletop
- Sit on the mat with your fingers facing away from you| with about 12 inches between your butt and your heels.
- Press through your glutes as you lift your butt off the floor| coming into a tabletop position.
This move| powered by your glutes| works more than just your bum. It will warm up your entire body while giving your booty some shape.
| Marching Bridge
Reps: 20| alternating sides
- Lie on your back with your hands by your sides| with your heels about 12 inches from your pelvis. Press your heels into the floor to come into a bridge position with a neutral spine.
- Press your right heel into the floor| and keeping your left knee bent| raise your left leg until your hip is at 90 degrees. Lower your left leg down| pressing through your right glute so your pelvis doesn’t drift to the floor as you lower your leg. This completes one rep; switch sides and lift your right leg for your second rep.
To keep the pelvis stable in this position while moving your legs| you really need to engage your glutes.
| Clam Series
Reps: 20| each side
- Lie on your left side with your knees and hips bent to about 45 degrees with your heels in line with your butt. Reach your right hip toward your feet to even out your knees and lift your bottom waist off the floor. Your pelvis should be level in this side-lying neutral position.
- Keeping your feet together and your pelvis still| raise your right knee toward the ceiling| then slowly lower your knee to complete one rep.
There is not a lot moving in this simple sculpting exercise| but get ready to feel a burn at your panty line.
| Side Saddle Leg Lifts
Reps: 20 pulses and 20 circles| each side
- Start on your left side with your legs extended; bend your left knee and bring it up toward your hip u2014 this will make you more stable. Place your top hand on your hip and your bottom arm under your head.
- Flex your right foot and lift your top leg up about six to eight inches from the floor. From here| make tiny pulses upward 20 times| keeping your pelvis still u2014u00a0your hand is there to monitor it! Holding your leg at the highest point of the lift| draw one-inch circles with your heel for 20 reps.
Those familiar with barre exercises will love these side saddle leg lifts that can be done anywhere.
| Donkey Kick Pulses Series
Reps: 20 pulses with leg parallel and 20 with knee out| on each side
- Begin on all fours and lift your right leg off the floor until your knee is in line with your hip.
- Flex your foot and squeeze your glute to raise your heel an inch toward the ceiling. Continue these small| concentrated pulses for 20 reps.
- Open your right knee out to the side| keeping your foot flexed| and pulse your leg one inch to the left. You are not trying to lift the knee up| but trying to keep it level as it moves behind you. You should feel your glutes firing away for all 20 pulses.
Isolate the glutes and work them from a couple of different angles with this pulsing variation of the donkey kick.
| Pilates Swimming Series
Reps: 20| alternating sides
- Lie on your stomach with your arms reaching overhead| pulling your abs away from the floor to protect and lengthen your lower back. Lift your legs| arms| and head off the mat.
- Keeping your knees straight| lift your entire right leg and left arm a few inches away from the floor. As you lower your right leg and left arm| lift your left leg and right arm away from the mat to complete one rep.
- Continue alternating sides in a slow| controlled manner| keeping your torso stable.
This move targets the upper fibers of the glute max to give your butt a little extra shape.