Build Muscle and Boost Your Metabolism With This Weighted Workout
Add some weights to your workout to build more metabolism-boosting muscle. This circuit workout will help you get sleek and strong.
Directions: Warm up with three minutes of light cardio| then perform each three-exercise circuit twice. Use five- to 10-pound weights. Cool down with three minutes of stretching.
| Circuit One: Goblet Squat
- Stand with your feet wider than shoulder width with toes pointed slightly out. Hold your dumbbell at chest level with both hands. Keeping your back flat| push your hips back| bend your knees| and lower your body until your thighs are parallel to the floor and your elbows touch your knees.
- With your weight focused in your heels| push yourself up to the starting position.
- Do 15 reps.
| Circuit One: Deadlift With Back Row
- Stand upright holding your dumbbells in each hand| with your palms facing in and your knees slightly bent.
- Keeping your arms straight and knees slightly bent| slowly hinge forward| bending at your hips (not your waist)| lowering the weights to your shins without rounding your back.
- Keeping your back almost parallel to the floor and abs pulled to your spine| bend your elbows toward the ceiling| squeezing your shoulder blades together and performing a back row.
- Maintain the position of your torso as you lower the weights back to your shins.
- Squeeze your glutes to return to standing| keeping your back straight.
- Do 15 reps.
- Start on your back with your knees bent and your feet hip distance apart. Holding weights by your chest.
- Squeeze your glutes as you push your pelvis toward the ceiling| coming into a bridge. Keep your ribs aligned with your pelvis.
- Holding the bridge| press the weights to the ceiling directly above your shoulders for a total of 20 reps.
- Lower your pelvis down the mat to compete the set.
- With feet slightly wider than hip distance apart| twist upward to the right| bringing the dumbbell above your head.
- Exhale and slice the weight diagonally across your body| ending twisted to the left with the dumbbell outside your left thigh. Pivot on your right foot as needed.
- The move is a bit percussive| so focus on the rotation initiating in your torso.
- Control the weight back up to the starting position to complete one rep.
- Remember you are moving with force but also control. Don’t give into the momentum of swinging the weight around. Do 12 reps on each side.
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand with palms up| stand with knees slightly bent. Keeping your back flat| bend forward at the hip joint.
- Exhale and raise both arms out to the side| maintaining a slight bend in the elbows and squeezing your shoulder blades together. Then| with control| lower the dumbbells back toward the floor.
- Do 15 reps for a set.
- Holding the weights at your shoulders with your palms facing out| step backward about three feet with your left foot. Press the weights up to the ceiling.
- Lower the weight to your shoulders as you bend your knees| making 90-degree angles with both legs.
- Straighten both legs as you press the weights back toward the ceiling. This completes one rep. Do 10| then switch legs.
- Holding a pair of dumbbells| stand with your feet and knees together. Perform a bicep curl by bending your elbows to bring the weights to your shoulders
- Lower your arms toward the floor as you take a large step to the left with your left foot| lunging toward the floor. Make sure your left knee does not extend past your toes| and keep your right leg relatively straight.
- As you push off through your left foot to return to standing| perform a bicep curl.
- Repeat on the other side for a total of 20 reps.
- Holding one dumbbell in your left hand with your right hand on your hip| squat| bringing the weight toward the floor.
- Exhale| pull your abs to your spine as you straighten your legs| and pull your elbow behind you| bringing the weight to your chest. Your torso will twist to the left.
- Bend your knees and squat as you return to the starting position to complete a rep. Repeat on the other side| and continue alternating sides for 20 reps.
- Lie on your back with your arms reaching toward the ceiling| holding one weight with both hands. With the sole of your left foot on the mat| bring your right toes toward the ceiling.
- Exhale and lower your arms and leg toward the floor| keeping your lower back touching the mat.
- Inhale and return to starting position to complete one rep. Repeat on the other side| and continue alternating for 20 reps total.
| Circuit One: Bridge With Chest Press
Reps: 20 presses| holding bridge
| Circuit Two: High-to-Low Woodchop
Reps: 12 each side
| Circuit Two: Reverse Fly
| Circuit Two: Split Squat With Overhead Press
Reps: 10 each side
| Circuit Three: Bicep Curl With Side Lunge
Reps: 20| alternating sides
| Circuit Three: Lawn Mower
Reps: 20| alternating sides
| Circuit Three: Overhead Reach With Leg Lower
Reps: 20| alternating legs