3 Moves For Flat Abs by Halloween
With Halloween parties on the way| it’s time to get (or keep) those abs in tip-top shape! The next time you hit the gym or go to stretch after a workout| bring these three ab exercises to your usual routine. This combination doesn’t take very long| nor does it require equipment (commercial break activity| anyone?)| but the combination of the three will tighten and tone your tummy in no time| so you can rock that costume or LBD with confidence.
| Russian Twist
Russian twists are a great way to tone your abs| especially your obliques. You can do them without equipment| but for quicker results| try holding a dumbbell or adding a medicine ball at chest height. Watch this video for a few Russian twist variations| or follow these steps:
- Sit on the ground with your knees bent and your heels about a foot from your bum.
- Lean slightly back without rounding your spine at all. It is really important| and difficult| to keep your back straight| so don’t let it curve.
- Place your arms straight out in front of you with your hands holding either side of the dumbbell. Your hands should be level with the bottom of your ribcage.
- Pull your navel to your spine| and twist slowly to the left. The movement is not large and comes from the ribs rotating| not from your arms swinging. Inhale through center| and rotate to the right. This completes one rep. Lift your feet off the ground for a more advanced variation.
- Do 16 full rotations.
Related: A Lazy-Girl Workout You’ll Love
| Toe Touches
If you often do traditional crunches| try bumping up the intensity with toe touches. The challenge here is trying not to bend your knees to fully target your upper abs. Follow these easy steps:
- Lie on your back on the floor. Raise your arms to your ears or directly above your chest.
- Without lifting your hips from the ground| raise your legs| holding them there throughout the set.
- Use your abs to slowly curl your shoulders off the ground| bringing your fingertips to your toes. Now slowly lower your shoulders to the ground| pausing at the starting position to complete one rep. Don’t use your neck as momentum to make the motion.
- Do 20 reps.
| Elbow Plank
A traditional elbow plank offers total-body tone and is a great way to target your entire middle. There are many variations to challenge your plank| but first master the basic elbow plank following these steps:
- Start on the floor resting on your forearms and knees.
- Step your feet out one at a time| coming into a plank position.
- Contract your abs to prevent your booty from sticking up or sinking. Your spine should be parallel to the floor| with your abs pulling toward the ceiling.
- Hold for 30 seconds; work your way up to one minute as you build strength.
Related: The Ultimate List of the Best Bodyweight Exercises