4 Moves to Strengthen and Tone Side Abs
Smooth and toned sides are in style all year round! These four exercises will help you strengthen your side body and tame back bulge.
| Bicycle Crunches
Crunches may have lost their luster with the very fit crowd, but bicycle crunches really work when it comes to toning your obliques:
- Lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed to the ground (pull your abs down to also target your deep abs). Interlace your fingers, and put your hands behind your head.
- Bring your knees in toward your chest, and lift your shoulder blades off the ground.
- Straighten your right leg out to about a 45-degree angle to the ground while turning your upper body to the left, bringing your right elbow toward the left knee. Make sure your rib cage is moving and not just your elbows.
- Now switch sides and do the same motion on the other side to complete one rep (and to create the “pedaling”” motion). Do this exercise with slow and controlled motion.
- Perform two sets of 10 to 20 reps.
| Seated Russian Twist
While this ab exercise mainly targets your obliques