Toned Abs in 10 Minutes or Less
This three-minute core series from 25-minute no-equipment workout here) in order to work the core even harder. The result? You’ll be ready for any Spring break vacation plans in no time.
Here’s a list of the six moves| each performed for 30 seconds with a 30-second rest at the end. Try repeating the entire circuit up to three times| resting for 30 seconds between each circuit| for a 10-minute core workout. Even if you only repeat once| this series works well as an add-on to a total-body workout u2014 or even just a quick way to tone abs while you’re watching TV or starting your day.
- Basic crunch
- Tabletop crunch
- Tabletop crunch with hold
- Bicycle crunch with hold
- Side crunch| left side
- Side crunch| right side
| Basic Crunch
Reps: 30 seconds
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet about 12 inches from your butt. Put your hands behind your ears or cross arms over your chest.
- Focusing on your core muscles| lift your head and shoulders and raise up until your head| shoulders| and back are off the floor. Keep your belly button pulled in.
- Lower back down to complete one rep. Repeat for 30 seconds.
| Tabletop Crunch and Tabletop With Hold
Reps: 30 seconds of crunches| then 30 seconds with hold.
- Lie on your back with a neutral spine. Lift legs up and bend knees so they are at a 90-degree angle. Place hands behind your head or crossed in front of your chest (not shown).
- Lift your head| shoulders| and back so they are off the ground| focusing on pulling from your core. Try to touch your elbows to your knees.
- Lower to complete one rep. Repeat for 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds| perform three tabletop crunches as before| but hold at the top with elbows to knees for three seconds at the last crunch. Lower down| then repeat this three crunches| three-second hold sequence for 30 seconds.
| Bicycle Crunch With Hold
Reps: 30 seconds
- Lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed to the ground (pull your abs down to also target your deep abs). Interlace your fingers| and put your hands behind your head.
- Bring your knees in toward your chest| and lift your shoulder blades off the ground.
- Straighten your right leg out to about a 45-degree angle to the ground while turning your upper body to the left| bringing your right elbow toward the left knee. Make sure your rib cage is moving and not just your elbows.
- Now switch sides and do the same motion on the other side to complete one rep (and to create the “pedaling”” motion).
- Continue this quick pedaling motion for 30 seconds| pausing for two counts every third rotation (eg| right foot out| left foot out| then hold right foot out and touch left elbow to right knee. Then left foot out| right foot out| then hold left foot out and touch right elbow to left knee).
| Side-Plank Crunch
Reps: 30 seconds| each side
- Begin in a side elbow plank with your left elbow down and your right hand behind your head.
- Keeping your torso stable and your waist lifted| bring your right leg up toward your shoulder to lightly tap your right elbow.
- Lengthen your right leg back to the starting position to complete one rep.
- Repeat for 30 seconds| then flip so your right elbow is on your mat and repeat on your left side for 30 seconds.