3 Moves For a Better Booty by Halloween
Rocking a hip- and backside-hugging Halloween costume this year? Dedicate some workout energy to firming up your glutes! For results you’ll feel in just a few weeks’ time| start incorporating the following exercises to your longer strength-training workouts u2014 or tack them on to your postcardio stretch sessions. Make sure you have a pair of eight- to 10-pound dumbbells handy| since you’ll need weights for two of these effective moves.
| Exercise One: Jump Squats
The classic squat is a great exercise for toning the derriere| and when you add a jump| the move becomes more effective. Jumping also increases your heart rate to burn even more calories u2014u00a0bonus!
- Begin in an athletic stance with feet shoulder-width apart and arms bent with hands at chest level. Bend knees and come into a full squat.
- Jump up as explosively as you can| reaching for the ceiling.
- When you land| lower back into the squat position to complete one rep.
- Perform as many reps as possible for one minute.
| Exercise Two: Tipping Row
This rowing variation works the backside beautifully u2014 and not just your bum. It targets the hamstrings and upper back along with the glutes.
- Stand up straight and hold two dumbbells with palms facing each other.
- Lift up your left foot so you are balancing on your right leg. Find your balance| then sweep your left leg back and extend your arms toward the floor.
- Holding this position| bend your elbows back so that the dumbbells meet the sides of your chest. Keep your shoulders down and elbows straight back.
- Do as many reps as possible for 30 seconds| then switch legs for an additional 30 seconds.
| Exercise Three: Crossover Lunge
Adding arm work to this glute- and inner thigh-toner makes this a time-saving full-body move.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-distance apart. Grab a dumbbell in each hand or a medicine ball. Extend your arms down at your sides if you are holding dumbbells| or hold the medicine ball in front of you with arms extended.
- Take a large step diagonally forward with your right foot| planting your foot at the 11 o’clock position. Sink down until your thighs form right angles. As you bend your knees| curl the dumbbells toward your upper arms or the medicine ball toward your chest.
- Extend your legs| lift your right knee and bring it in toward your chest| and lower your arms. Step back with your right leg| this time lunging behind your torso and stepping back to the 8 o’clock position. As you sink down into the reverse lunge| complete another bicep curl. This completes one rep.
- Complete 15 reps on one side| then switch to the other leg.
Repeat this circuit three to five times for a short sweat session!