Tone Your Whole Body With 1 Challenging Yoga Sequence
Want lean, limber, and strong muscles? Here’s a fluid sequence you can try on your own. These nine poses will tone and strengthen every part of your body, so hop on your mat and keep reading. If you love this sequence, print out a copy to keep in your gym bag.
| Downward Facing Dog
- Begin in Downward Facing Dog. Try to have equal pressure in the hands and the feet. If you can, straighten your legs and press your heels toward the floor.
- Hold for five breaths.
| Warrior 1
- Step your right foot forward between your hands and lift your torso up, coming into Warrior 1 with your right knee directly over your ankle.
- Straighten your arms above your head and gaze at your pressed palms.
- Lengthen through the spine and hold for five breaths.
| Warrior 3
- Shift your weight forward, coming to balance on your right leg in Warrior 3. Your torso and lifted leg should be parallel with the floor.
- Extend your arms and draw your belly in toward your spine.
- Hold here for five breaths.
| Standing Split
- Lower your torso and hands to the floor, and come into Standing Split.
- Keep your bottom leg straight and work on straightening your top leg up to the sky. If this is too much, keep your upper knee bent.
- Draw your torso to your thigh and your forehead to your shin. Work on creating length in the spine, holding for five breaths.
| Standing Hand to Big Toe D
- With control, stand up and swoop your left leg forward, coming into Standing Hand to Big Toe D (photo shows opposite side).
- Keep your torso in line with your standing leg, and straighten your right leg out in front of you. If this hurts your lower back, bend your right knee slightly.
- Bring your hands to your hips and breathe deeply for five breaths.
| Warrior 2
- Step your left foot behind you and come into Warrior 2.
- Extend your arms out in T-position and lower your hips so your front thigh is parallel to the floor. Keep your front knee directly over your ankle.
- Stay strong for five breaths.
| Twisting Extended Side Angle
- Reach your left arm around your lower back and clasp onto your right inner thigh.
- Rest your right elbow on your front quad, staying here in Twisting Extended Side Angle.
- Gaze over your left shoulder for five breaths.
| Open Lizard
- Place both hands on the floor beside your right foot. Lower your back knee to the floor and lower the right knee slightly toward the floor to deepen the stretch in the hip.
- Stay here in Open Lizard for five breaths.
- Come back onto your hands and lift your back knee off the floor.
- Step your left foot toward your hands a couple inches and plant the sole of your foot on the mat so it’s perpendicular to your body. Move your left hand a few inches to the right, and hold onto your right big toe with the first two fingers and thumb of your right hand.
- Press into your left palm and left foot and lift your right leg into the air, coming into Sage.
- Hold for five breaths and then release, coming back into Downward Facing Dog.
- Repeat this sequence on the other side.