Summer Prep: Do-Anywhere Bodyweight Circuit
It’s time to get stronger and tone up all over. No matter what your Summer goals are| we have a monthlong workout plan to help achieve them. Our Better-Body Challenge will help you conquer burpees and rock your bikini.
The challenge starts with a full-body strength-training workout that will keep you moving for about 40 minutes. Best of all| you don’t need any equipment for this workout| so no excuses! Learn the details of the moves| print the workout| then get your sweat on!
Directions: Warm up with five minutes of light cardio| then repeat each three-exercise circuit three times. Cool down with five minutes of stretching.
| Circuit One: Squat With Side Leg Lift
Reps: 20| alternating sides
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart| feet parallel. Bend your knees| lowering your hips deeply so your thighs are parallel with the floor| keeping weight back in your heels.
- Rise back up| straightening the legs completely| and lift the right leg out to the side| squeezing the outer glute.
- Lower the right leg to complete one rep; repeat the squat again lifting the left leg as you stand.
- Do 20 reps| alternating sides.
This squat variation tones and sculpts the butt from all angles u2014 plus standing on one leg fires up your core.
| Circuit One: Down Dog Abs
Reps: 10 each side
- Start in a Downward Dog pose| actively pushing your weight into your heels while reaching your tailbone to the sky. Lift your left leg up squeezing the left glute.
- Exhale rock your weight forward over your hands| draw your left knee toward your nose pulling your abs to your spine to round your back.
- Inhale and lift your left leg up as your push your weight back into your heels. This complete one rep.
- Do 10 reps| each side.
This full body move works the upper body while focussing on the abs. It also a provides a nice stretch for the calves.
| Circuit One: Elbow Plank With Twist
Reps: 10| each side
- Start in side elbow plank on your right side| with your feet stacked one on top of the other (you can stagger your feet for more stability). Place your hand so your fingers point away from you.
- Place your left arm behind your head| and inhale to prepare.
- Exhale| and pull your navel to your spine while rotating your ribcage toward the floor bringing your left elbow to your right hand.
- Return to the starting position| to complete one rep.
- Do 10 reps on each side.
Twisting is good for the spine and tones the obliques| the ab muscles that crisscross the abdomen. To increase your stability in this position| reach your bottom toward the ceiling u2014 this also works the inner thighs.
| Circuit Two: Beach Babe Push-Up
Reps: 5| each side
- Begin in plank with your knees on the mat.
- Extend your right leg straight behind you so it’s parallel with the floor. Engage your abs| and keep your left heel in line with your hips by engaging your glutes.
- With your right leg extended| exhale to bend the elbows| lowering into a push-up. Inhale to straighten your arms| keeping your leg lifted.
- This counts as one rep.
- Do 5 reps on each side.
This modified one-leg push-up will challenge your arms while working your abs. Do actively squeeze the glute of the lifted leg to tone your butt too.
| Circuit Two: Twisted Mountain Climber u2014 20 Reps| Alternating
Reps: 20| alternating sides
- Start in a traditional plank u2014 shoulders over hands and weight on your toes.
- With your core engaged| twist to bring your right knee forward under to your left elbow. Return to your basic plank to complete a rep. Switch legs| bringing the left knee forward to the right knee for your second rep.
- Do 20 reps| alternating sides.
Mountain climbers are such an effective exercise| and adding a twist really works the abs from all angles.
| Circuit Three: Bulgarian Split Squat
Reps: 15| each side
- Begin by placing the toes of your right foot on a bench| box| stair or chair| with your left leg straight. Make sure your left foot is out far enough so that when you lower your hips| your knee stays directly over your ankle.
- Bend your left knee| squeeze your right glute| and lower your pelvis toward the ground.
- Press your left heel into the ground to straighten your left knee. This completes one rep.
- Do 15 reps before switching legs.
Shape and lift your rear with this elevated split squat.
| Circuit Three: Superwoman Push-Up
- Being lying with the front of our body on the mat. Exhale and lift your legs and upper body off the mat| pulling your elbows back squeezing your shoulder blades down and together. Keep your abs engaged to protect your lower back.
- Inhale and lower your legs to the mat| placing your palms by your shoulders.
- Exhale| engage your abs and push your body up into a full plank.
- Inhale| lower your body slowly to the floor to complete one rep.
- Do 10 reps.
Proper posture can make you look up to 10 pounds thinner| so in this exercise focus on strengthening your upper back to help you stand tall.
| Circuit Three: Butterfly Crunch
- Lie on your back with your knees open and the soles of your feet together (in a butterfly position). Lengthen your arms overhead so they are resting on the floor.
- Exhale and bring your hands and knees toward each other performing a full-body crunch. Your shoulder blades should be off the mat as your perform a small reverse crunch lifting your pelvis a bit off the mat. Hold this position for a moment and really feel your abs squeezing.
- Slowly lower your arms and feet back to starting position to complete one rep.
- Do 15 reps to complete a set.
Don’t let the sweet name fool you| this move works the abs quite thoroughly.
| Circuit Three: Marching Bridge
Reps: 20| alternating legs
- Lie on your back with your hands by your side| with your heels about 12 inches from your pelvis. Press your heels into the floor to come into a bridge position with a neutral spine.
- Press your right heel into the floor| and keeping your knee bent| raise your left leg until your hip is a 90 degrees. Lower your left leg down| pressing through your glutes so your pelvis doesn’t drift to the floor along with the leg. This completes one rep; switch sides and lift your right leg for your second rep.
- Do 20 reps| alternating legs.
This exercise helps strengthen the back for good posture| but to keep the pelvis stable you as your march in this position you really need to engage your glutes.